Saturday, April 20, 2013

Rota part 2

I enjoy Craig's stories.
In all seriousness, I had so much fun being with three of my best friends and being in this beautiful city. I want to come back with my wife someday.
The art and history really inspired me- I was excited about the shows.
We had an excellent breakfast and was ready to go! We wondered at the base and met some folks. I know this show will be great, the people started pouring into the venue early


Don't eat the oranges- they belong to the king!








The shows where packed, and the crowd was amazing. It was March 15th, which is my wife's birthday. We got the group to get in on a cool video I sent her!




File:Veracruz Rota.JPG
After the show, we watched people getting ready for the holy week. It was pretty insane. They make floats out of real gold that has to weigh hundreds of pounds and march bar to bar while they work on the floats. Oh yea, did I mention they are dressed like Klu Klux Klan members. These clothes are meant to resemble the Nazareños, AKA, for people like me who do not have a clue to what that is- people from Nazareth. So the klan must have ripped off these dudes stuff!!


It is kind of like a moving station of the cross or live bible scenes diner theatre.
HOLY WEEK IN SPAINThe people who carry the weight of the floats are called "costaleros" and are expected the carry these "thrones" with solemnity and grace. They use a small cushion, "costal" to protect themselves from getting sores from the wood rubbing against their skin during the long processions.

We got to sleep and got ready to head to Madrid early in the morning.



We leave for Madrid in the AM.