Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Travel Home from Kosovo w/ Stop in Vienna

Travel Home from Kosovo

Here is a map at the airport. This is to show where Kosovo is. Not A lot of folks know really where it is

Day 10
4 AM, we are loading up the van and getting ready to head to the airport. I was thinking about last night while I was at the gym the guy who ran everything was from Kosovo and me, and he got along very well. He was proud to tell me all the famous people who are Albanian.

· James (Jim) Belushi- American Actor


· Tony Dovolani - Dancing With The Stars


· John Belushi -American Actor


· Ledina Çelo - model, singer


· Eliza Dushku - American actress


· Marie Logoreci - actress, singer, director


· Peter Malota


· Enver Gjokaj - American actor


· Mother Teresa - Roman Catholic nun


· Muhammad Nasiruddin al-Albani - was an important, influential and Islamic scholar


· Pope Clement XI - Pope


· John Cena - professional wrestler


· Regis Philbin – television



Then he invited me to his mother's house for dinner tomorrow, but we had to leave in the morning. I thought that was one of the most beautiful things I ever was offered. He gave me a list of great Albanian food to try when I got back to NY:

POGAQE

BUREK

FLI- with honey, cheese, and sour cream.

I can’t wait to try it- I think I had a burek at a little place in my old apartment on 37th street.



On the way to the airport, a wild horse was running in the streets
As we drove to the Airport Sergeant Maples Started telling me a story about when he was stationed in Germany, they would have to set up Convoys on the Autobahn. There would be fifty or so NATO and US vehicles traveling along the autobahn in a row, and they wouldn’t go too fast because they were big and allot of them, so they put hazards on and stayed in the right lane.

Germans are known for making high vehicles but not making great drivers. They all think they are great drivers. They said every convoy at least one person would screw up crash into them and die. That’s not good odds on these German folks. Motorcycles would slam into a giant 16-wheeler ant there wouldn’t be much of a trace at 200mph. A BMW flying down the highway and not be able to stop in time would drive right under an MWRAPs back tire, making them a metal pancake.

One time they were driving, and they just heard “boom,” a beamer slammed into the back of the rig, so they pulled over and called the German police. The man in the NATO truck was a medic, so he went to work. The driver didn’t have a chance he was as flat as a Frisbee, the two in the back were butt-ass naked and was going at it during the wreck. The girl was banged up (no pun intended) but ok. The guy was hurt and unconscious, so the medic did what he could. He had to do mouth to mouth and try and revive him. The cops showed up and started to investigate everything. Turns out the guy is one of Germany's most wanted for… ready for this. Mass Murder, he has AIDS- knows it and is trying to give it to every man and woman he can. The women start freaking out, and the NATO guys tease the medic for years about this. He turned out all right. We don’t know about the women.



We checked in at the airport and off to Vienna via Austrian Airlines. Austrian airways are amazing. They brought food or drink every hour. At one point, I refused, and the stewardess nodded, no still handing it to me. I realized why it what a chocolate croissant, and it was terrific. All the food they served was excellent, sorry comics you will have to stop the hacky airline food jokes.




I tried to catch up on sleep. I was looking forward to seeing Angie and getting home. The people sitting next to me were a mother and daughter going to the states for vacation. 5 days NYC, 5 days San Francisco, 2 in Vegas, 4 days looking around national parks and 3 in LA. They seemed so excited; I was excited for them and tried to give them tips in NY for fun cheap stuff. I wished them the best of luck and safe travels and hope America seduces them like Europe did for me.