Sunday, July 4, 2010

Welcome to Kosovo Bondsteel

Day 8

Above: The night before they were at the Show. We are leaving to go to Kosovo to tell dick jokes, They are moving to become heroes in Afgan.

Left: Saying Goodbye to Rico. We will miss you and in Germany. To quote Rico, “Germany is ze best.. It is perfect.
I am exhausted; I slept the 3-hours bus ride to Frankfort Airport. After this whole airport thing, I never want to hear another European complain Americans are rude. This was the single worst display of humanity in a business I have ever seen. The sentence Form a line is just a suggestion. These Balkan Vultures swarm the front and will knock old women over to be next. Sense of space, they have NO IDEA what that means. I could feel the guy behind me breathing on my neck. I don’t even want to feel Angie’s nose breathing on my neck. When we boarded the bus and stopped at our plane, people stepped over people to board and were loud and obnoxious the whole time. I thought it was just I being tired, but Carol almost got in a fistfight with a troll who pushed her and Parked put gum in her hair (revenge is sweet, but she may never wash and find out about it) There was no holds barred going for luggage.



Welcome to Pristine Kosovo. Bondsteel Nato Base


The Passport guy said I should have fun because Kosoians LOVE Americans, they even have a statue of Bill Clinton downtown. The young Albino’ s/Albanians all are sporting Short soccer player mullets.
Our Guides were excellent and explained a lot of cool stuff to us: Being around them, we had such a detailed history of everything Balkan. The Mountain, “The Duke” in the last few days, lost its snow cap (I guess Al Gore was right, don’t get caught forcing yourself on another woman, what?!?). Duke is above behind the building.

The Serbs and Albanians have been fighting since the beginning of time and never took the time to just advance, and you can tell. They never finish building a house 20 sometimes 30 years go by until construction is complete.
Their roads are entirely lawless, I am severe you can not get pulled over. Imagine what that’s like after hearing about the airport. We saw a guy with the frame of a car being pulled by horses, Cows wander in the streets as do the kids.
Right: Not the base, it is a juvy hall
The Balkan Mountain Range is a host for crime. In fact, it is the number one place for human trafficking, heroin import from the Middle East, and the Albanian mob if ruthless with the gun and arms trading and not respecting human life. This doesn’t lead to concern the Americans and NATO though they are trying to get them to form a police dept. They are worried about another holy war. It was explained like this: our presence is like a bad kid getting paddled, and mom keeps it out to remind him to be good and what can happen.

Kosovo’s only Bowling Alley in the entire country. All 4 lanes of action


We walked the base for a bit, it is straightforward, clean, and efficient. All members of NATO have a presence here, so there is a lot of cool stuff. They were having Karaoke in the main stage (where we are tomorrow) tonight. I was reminded of their fantastic library situation. By Library, I mean a room of shelves and its full of books you can just take with the agreement you will drop it when you are done at whatever base you’re at.

I was exhausted so- GYM- DFAC- Computer- shower Type- Sleep. I am looking forward to tomorrow. Right before bed, I met these contractors guys who fix things at the Radar and tower area. I talked to them for a while, and randomly there was a rabbit that ran out under a housing area, and it was bigger than any dog I ever owned. It was a rabbit or a small goat that learned to hop.