Wednesday, June 30, 2010

SPANGAL and Spangdahlem Air Base

DAY 4

I got up pretty early and took a final stroll around Rotterdam before we had to take off. Bussing it across Holland toward Germany, listening to music, and just enjoying the countryside. Life is pretty good. I couldn’t quit smiling. I love being in love, listening to music, and all this beautiful countryside just heightens emotions, and I couldn’t stop thinking of Angie. I wish she was here to experience this with me. She would really enjoy it.
Now I mean Bidnes bear.

We are staying off base because they are in a training session to see if they could be ready for another war and test everything. Our hotel is off base, it looks like a small villa in a movie (maybe an old bond film) Its surrounded by nature, lush German forests and a children’s park and zoo in the back. Rico hung witch today was really cool; he is so laid back and chill. Rico grew up in East Germany, and he spoke a bit to me about what it was like, it was great stories I wish I wrote it down.


Walking to the hotel




Our Guide here is a guy named Tony, Complete salt of the earth… Whatta guy. We are heading into Speicher. It is a quaint town with narrow streets and old buildings. We took the B-50, which is the most dangerous roadway in Germany. Apparently, soldiers get used to the auto bond and get amazing fast German cars, and this is a narrow windy road, and they lose control and go off the road and roll into ravines.
The winding roads along the rolling hills with villa-style houses makes me think this could be my favorite part of Europe. The Quaintness of the towns here in Germany are so peaceful, I get the vibe and really dig it. After an Amazing German meal, Tony asked if we wanted to take a ride on the Auto bond in one of his sports cars, and I couldn’t think of a word quicker to mean YES. We did right around 140mph, and he said that’s nothing.